In this page we present the results of the observatory in the form of a list: OpenCorporation through the multidimensional approach methodology, has determined a rating for each company, a value between 0 and 100. The highest rating corresponds to the best result.
Since all companies have been evaluated and have a rating, they can be listed in a ranking (companies performing better are on top).
Company name (clickable)
For each row, the company name is in the middle of the table. By clicking on the company name you can access the details of the related “evaluation card”.
Next, the two-digit ISO code of the country in which the multinational has its HQ.
Zoom on the thematic indicators
Next to the company name appears a small histogram chart: the values represented are related to the result of that company on each thematic indicator (Social Dialog, Job Conditions, Social responsibility, Finance, Diversity, Accessibility and Environment).
By hovering the mouse (or with a touch on touch devices) you can view the scores without having to access the detailed card.
This button is used to select two companies to compare, as explained further in the “Comparisons” paragraph.
Sorting by indicator
Above the list there are some tools to facilitate navigation, sorting and filters.
The sort drop-down recalibrates the list on the basis of only one of the indicators of the multi-dimensional OpenCorporation evaluation. When ordering by one of the indicators a new column appears, with the specific rating to replace the overall rating.
If the sort by indicator is active, the drop down is colored.
The list is paginated since it contains several thousand companies. The buttons to change page are at the bottom of the list.
However, to refine the displayed list, you can use the filters at the top of the page:
- “Restrict country to”, narrows the search results to the country where the company is headquartered
- “Restrict business sector to”, narrows the search results to companies belonging to one of the NACE top-level classifications. When it is active, another selector appears to narrow the search to the second level classification.
- “Search in companies”, you can type some text to perform a search based on the company name.
A filter appears colored when it is active.
As already seen, you can access the evaluation card by clicking on the name of one of the companies in the list.
The page is divided into two columns: the main column on the left presents the result of the OpenCorporation evaluation, enriched by the main information about the company; other information on the company status gathered during the research is reported in the right column.
Note: on “mobile” devices (small screens) the layout is simplified and the columns are stacked.
Head of the main column
The top header contains respectively:
- a donut chart showing the Rating (a numerical percentage value) that OpenCorporation has assigned to the company
- the name of the company
- the country in which it has its headquarters
- the Ranking for the current year on the total number of the monitored companies
- the NACE codes of the productive sector in which the company operates
- a company description extracted from the database Orbis by Bureau van Dijk .
Rating by indicator
Below the header there is an horizontal histogram describing the result that the company obtained in the evaluation for each of the indicators: Social Dialog, Job Conditions, Social responsibility, Finance, Diversity, Accessibility and Environment.
Each row contains the label of the indicator, than in brackets the position that the company occupies relative to the indicator on the total of companies in the sample, the specific rating for the indicator assigned by OpenCorporation.
The last row has a different color (striped) and describes a measurement of the Transparency of the company that the OpenCorporation team measured during the research. The value is reported apart because, by methodology, it has been chosen that the Transparency does not participate in the calculation of the Overall Rating.
Secondary column, Comparison tools
The upper right area contains two colored blue buttons:
- The “Compare“ button is used to select the company to make comparisons: by clicking on it, you return to the list and the company is already selected (see next paragraph “Comparison”).
- The “Orbis peer” button is a direct link to a file in PDF format that shows the list of the closest companies according to the Operating revenue (Turnover) and belonging to the same productive sector. The information contained in the file was extracted from the Orbis by Bureau van Dijk database and provides a useful sample for comparisons.
Secondary column, the Company status
On the right side of the evaluation page there are many other information acquired on the company during the research.
Most of this information derives from data imported from Orbis by Bureau van Dijk, which we have established as a source of truth (in case we are told that some information is not correct, we will report to Bureau van Dijk).
Among the information reported:
- Global Ultimate Owner, CEO and, if available, his/her remuneration
- numero of shareholders and major sharehoders
- number of subsidiaries
- numebr of employees, compared with previous years
- operating revenue, compared with previous years
- other financial indicators, like EBIT, Total assets, EBITDA and the Reprisk index in the last month and the peek during the past two years
- if available, the agreements (source ETUI)
- if available, the report from Global Reporting Initiative
- web site and the address of the main office
The comparison shows the information contained in each of the evaluation cards of two different companies side by side. The following explains how to select and access the comparison or remove the current selection.
I. Select the two companies to compare
- access the list in Rating & Ranking
- click the “compare” button corresponding to the company you want to add to the comparison panel. When at least one company is selected, the comparison panel is visible at the bottom.
- go on with the list browsing, ues filters or change page, the company remains selected and the panel visible
- to add a second company to the panel always use the corresponding “Compare” button
When at least two companies are selected, the “Compare” button in the panel is active and clickable to open the comparison page.
The panel may appear slightly different depending on the size of the screen, see figures.
II. Deselect and empty the panel
There are two ways to remove a company from the panel:
- the black button “Unselect” in the corresponding row of the list
- or the small round button next to the company name in the panel.
To deselect both companies and, as a consequence, empty and close the panel, just click on the black “Reset” button.
The comparative view
When you click on "Compare" in the panel, the system loads the page with the comparison layout.
The information available in the evaluation card of each of the two companies is presented side by side in a more concise manner.
The blue buttonnext to the company name gives you direct access to its extended evaluation card.
The result for each indicator is shown in the vertical histogram:
- the dark column on the left for the company on the left
- the colored column on the right for the company on the right
- the gray column at the center shows an additional interesting data, the average rating for that indicator on all the monitored companies: it is thus possible to compare the companies with each other and, for each indicator, check if the result is above or below the average..