In this page we present the results of the observatory in the form of a list. OpenCorporation, through a multidimensional approach methodology, has determined a rating for each company, a value between 0 and 100. The highest rating corresponds to the best result.
Since all companies have been evaluated and have been assigned a rating, they can be listed in a ranking (companies performing better are on top).
Company name (clickable)
For each row, the company name is in the middle of the table. By clicking on the company name you can access the details of the relevant “evaluation card”.
The double-digit ISO code of the country where the multinational is based is also shown on the right.
Zoom on the thematic indicators
Next to the company name there is a small histogram graph: the values represented are those relating to the result of that company on each thematic indicator (Social Dialogue, Job Conditions, Corporate Social Responsibility, Finance, Diversity, Accessibility and Environment).
By hovering the mouse (or with a touch on touch devices) you can view the scores without having to access the detailed sheet.
This button is used to select two companies to compare, as explained later in the “Comparisons” paragraph.
Sorting by indicator
Above the list there are some tools to facilitate browsing, sorting and filters.
Using the drop-down sorting menu you can recalibrate the list on the basis of only one of the indicators of the multi-dimensional OpenCorporation evaluation. When ordering by one of the indicators a new column appears, with the specific rating to replace the overall rating.
If the sorting by indicator is active, the drop down will appear colored.
The list is paged since it contains several thousand companies. At the bottom of each page you’ll find buttons for browsing results.
However, to refine the displayed list, you can use the filters at the top of the page:
- “Filter by country”, narrows down your search to the country where the company has its headquarters;
- “Restrict business sector to”, narrows the search results to companies belonging to one of the NACE top-level classifications. When it is active, another selector appears to narrow down the search to the second level classification;
- “Search in companies”, you can type some text to perform a search based on the company name.
A filter appears colored when it is active.
As already seen, you can access the evaluation card by clicking on the name of one of the companies in the list.
The page is divided into two columns: the main column on the left presents the result of the OpenCorporation evaluation, enriched by the main information about the company; other information on the company status gathered during the research is reported in the right column.
Note: on “mobile” devices (with small screens) the layout is simplified and the columns are stacked.
Main column header
The top header displays respectively:
- a doughnut chart showing the Rating (a numerical percentage value) that OpenCorporation has assigned to the company;
- the name of the company;
- the country in which it has its head office;
- the Ranking for the current year on the total number of the monitored companies;
- the NACE codes of the productive sector in which the company operates;
- a company description extracted from the database Orbis by Bureau van Dijk.
Rating by indicator
Below the header there is an horizontal histogram chart describing the result that the company has obtained in the evaluation for each of the indicators: Social Dialogue, Job Conditions, Corporate Social Responsibility, Finance, Diversity, Accessibility and Environment.
Each line contains the name of the indicator, in brackets the position that the company occupies relative to the indicator on the total of companies in the sample, the specific rating for the indicator assigned by OpenCorporation.
The last row has a different color (striped) and describes a measurement related to the Transparency of the company that the OpenCorporation team measured during the research. The value is reported apart because, according to our methodology, it has been decided that the Transparency should not be included in the calculation of the Overall Rating.
Secondary column, Comparison tools
The upper right area contains two blue blue buttons:
- The “Compare“ button is used to select the company to carry out the comparisons: by clicking on it, the user will return to the list with the already selected company (see next paragraph “Comparison”);
- The “Orbis peer” button is a direct link to a PDF file that shows the list of the similar companies in terms of Operating revenue (Turnover) and belonging to the same production sector. The information contained in the file was extracted from the Orbis by Bureau van Dijk database and provides a useful sample for comparisons.
Secondary column, the Company status
On the right hand side of the evaluation page you'll find a lot more information about the company acquired during the research.
Most of this information derives from data imported from Orbis by Bureau van Dijk, which we have established as a truthful source (in case we are told that any information is incorrect, we will submit the report to Bureau van Dijk).
Among the information reported:
- Global Ultimate Owner, CEO and, if available, his/her remuneration;
- number of shareholders and the largest shareholder;
- number of subsidiaries;
- number of employees, compared with previous years;
- operating revenue, compared with previous years;
- other financial indicators, like EBIT, Total assets, EBITDA and the Reprisk index in the last month and the peak during the past two years;
- if available, agreements and protocols on industrial relations (source: ETUI)if the agreements (source ETUI);
- if available, the report by the Global Reporting Initiative;
- web site and the address of the head office.
You can view the information contained in the evaluation card of two different companies side by side. The following explains how to select and access the comparison or remove the current selection.
I. Select the two companies to compare
- access the list in Rating & Ranking;
- click the “compare” button corresponding to the company you want to add to the comparison panel. If at least one company is selected, the comparison panel is visible at the bottom.;
- go on with the list browsing, using filters or changing pages: the company remains selected and the panel visible;
- to add a second company to the panel always use the corresponding “Compare” button.
When at least two companies have been selected, the “Compare” button in the panel becomes active and can be clicked to proceed with the comparison.
The panel may appear slightly different depending on the size of the screen, see figures.
II. Deselect and empty the panel
There are two ways to remove a company from the panel:
- the black “Deselect” button in the corresponding row of the list
- or the small round button next to the company name in the panel.
To deselect both companies and, consequently, empty and close the panel, just click on the black “Reset” button.
The comparative view
When you click on "Compare" in the panel, the system loads the page with the comparison layout.
The information available in the evaluation card for each of the two companies is presented side by side in a more concise manner.
The blue buttonnext to the company name gives you direct access to its evaluation card.
The result for each indicator is shown in the vertical histogram:
- the dark column on the left for the company on the left;
- the colored column on the right for the company on the right;
- the gray column in the center presents an additional interesting data, namely the average rating for that indicator on all monitored companies in the sample: it is thus possible both to compare the companies with each other and, for each indicator, to verify if the result is above or below the average.